Saturday, April 4, 2009

Exodus 32

What I've been reading up on lately:
(I like to paraphrase by the way. A lot is directly from my lovely NIV monster of a Bible.)

Exodus 32
Moses goes up the mountain to spend 40 days and 40 nights with God, face to face. But while he is up there, the people of Israel lose faith. They say "Come make us gods who will go before us. As for this fellow Moses who brought us up out of Egypt, we don't know what has happened to him". So Aaron, Moses' brother takes the people's gold ornaments and creates a golden calf - an idol to worship in place of the living God that delivered them from Egypt. (32:6) "So the next day, the people rose early and sacrificed burnt offerings and presented fellowship offerings.". The Lord sees their adultery and is angered by it.

"But Moses sought the favor of the Lord his God. - Moses said "Turn from Your fierce anger; relent and do not bring disaster on your people" - "Then the Lord relented and did not bring his people the disaster He had threatened."
"When Moses approached the camp and saw the calf and the dancing, his anger burned and he threw the tablets out of his hands, breaking them to pieces at the foot of the mountain."

Moses then gathers the people still willing to follow the God that brought them out of Egypt and literally destroys everybody else - the people who were family and friends, brothers and sisters.
The next day Moses goes back to the Lord to plead with Him. " Oh, what a great sin these people have committed! They have made themselves gods of gold. But now, please forgive their sin - but if not, then blot me out of the book you have written".
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gloomy story.
How many times have we been shown great revelations and glimpses of God's glory, only to turn around the very next hour to worship vain things?

How many times have we pleaded with God to deliver us from pain (Egypt) and when He does, we give Him nothing back?

How different are we from the people of Israel who worshipped a golden calf as we go about our daily lives worshipping anything from looks to material, popularity to sensuality, pride and power to independence from any higher authority?

The Lord's mercy rises with the morning, but why do we so often take that for granted?

How do we become 'bored' with Christianity when we make no effort to seek the God who it's all about in the first place?

Why do we sit around waiting on God to make us feel better all the while ignoring the desperate cries of the lost and broken around us?

How do we become accustomed to being forgiven constantly while making no effort to not repeat the mistake?

How can we call ourselves christians ("Little Christ") when we strive to do things ourselves, when Christ Jesus only did the will of His Father?

When God reveals to us our problem spots, why do we make excuses and try to hold onto the very thing that drives us away from God?

Why do we put an imaginary ceiling on what God could do for us?

Why do we expect so little from Him when Moses talked to God face to face for 40 days and nights in the midst of His glory?

What makes us so different from Moses that we can't have the same intimate relationship with Christ?

Why are we so quick to judge people who are struggling and yet spend so little time praying and pleading as Moses did for their salvation and forgiveness?

Are we as willing as Moses to lay down our own lives that others may be saved?

Why is it so easy to commit to vanity and so hard to commit to 20 minutes of prayer a day?

Why do we love what is of this world, when the only things that come out of it destroy us?


The answer to all of the above questions? "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind, and Love your neighbor as your self".



I am guilty of many, no, all of these things. I've torn apart the heart of God by the things that I have done. If anything, the things that I write apply most accurately to myself.
The reason I posted this is to share in my walk with Christ. I aim to be transparent, with nothing to hide from anybody.

"Lord transform me daily, soften my heart constantly, awaken me violently if you need to. For you bought me by your precious blood, and since then, I have gained everything. For what I once considered gain, I now know is loss when I see the One that I belong to. Show me your glory, that I may behold you, and become like you. I fight my flesh daily, Jesus save me from my self. I needed you then, I need you now, and I will forever need you here by my side. Let there be less of me, and more of You. For you are God in every earthquake, storm or summer day, and I will always have a reason to worship, praise, thank You and be joyful."



Hope this spoke to someone. Don't give up seeking God, because He will never give up on you. Send me your prayer requests or questions or insults or jokes or funny stories comments about anything. I won't bite. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment